Tuesday 13 March 2012

Swatch

Check it out, I did swatching *grins*


I'm usually pretty lax, and don't bother, but I thought it would be a good plan for this pattern as I love it and want to make it look fab ;)

I'm using this yarn:


To make this pattern:

© 2011 Splityarn

It's one of the patterns that the cunning boyfriend bought me for my birthday during his Ravelry adventure *laughs*

As the gauge for the pattern is given after blocking, I used 3 needle sizes to swatch (so that I didn't have to swatch, block, wait, see if the gauge was right, swatch again...) and got gauge on 5.5mm. The swatch also tells me that I love the way the yarn drapes at that gauge.

I followed the advice in Little Red in the City, and swatched appropriately for the fact that the garment is knit in the round - not a lot of point swatching flat as I know my gauge with purl rows is different.

I cast on last night, thanks to the fact that I have finished the knitting of my Shalom (though it needs blocking and buttons though, so not sure it'll be ready for Friday!)

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pattern and yarn!

    Have you seen the Youtube video:

    "Sh*t knitters say" ?

    Your swatch made me think of it, it's pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what you are up to...

    I've been having swatch adventures recently too! They are a bit of a pain in the butt aren't they?!!!

    I got some good advice from Zilredloh. Check it out:

    http://lifesjewelsonstring.blogspot.com/2012/02/gauge-swatches.html

    Keep sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is so cute! Good for you swatching. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does this sweater keep coming back into my life? Every time I forget about it, it shows up on someone's blog or on rav. I guess that I must knit it too at some point. I love the color you chose, this should be a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever made a swatch before...perhaps I should think about doing that sometime :-) I love that sweater pattern! If I was a bit thinner I might attempt it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be a very nice sweater when it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breaking the rules and swatching? You like to walk on the wild side don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, swatching is so not fun but it can save a ton of time in the end! That sweater is fabulous; can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweater is so cute! Can't wait to see the finished product :)
    –Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on the swatching. :) I never swatch... but then I never really knit stuff that has to fit. No one cares if a scarf is a bit off.

    One tip I heard from someone at knitting group was that, if you swatch for a finished piece that will be blocked, you should block your swatch as well to see if it changes the size at all.

    2 cents worth of brain power there. ;)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute color and cuter sweater. And swatches are a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhhh, pretty pile of yarn and pretty pattern - I bet it WILL turn out fab!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D