Monday 19 March 2012

Reinvigorated

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling somewhat lackluster about my knitting :( Nothing I had been working on was interesting me and I just wasn't loving it anymore. Which was a strange feeling, as knitting has been such a fixture in my life since I started.

Part of the problem was (I think) that I was putting pressure on myself to knit things I wasn't in the mood to knit - boyfriend's second sock and brother's socks come to mind here! Add a couple of swap parcels with handmade item requirements and all of a sudden, knitting started to feel like a bit of a chore. Not good.

I have finished the last swap gift now and I think I'll take a bit of a break from swapping, I may have burned myself out on them a little bit lately, despite how much fun I've had with them *laughs* The socks are on the back burner for the time being, I don't want to give people gifts that are knitted with boredom/pressure/seething resentment!

As a result, the last few days have been so much better, I've been enjoying my knitting again. I found the right buttons for my Shalom and I'm wearing it today *grins* and I cast on a couple of projects that I can't wait to pick up when I get home from work...


Twisted ribbing in a wonderfully squishable yarn (Debbie Bliss Fez, I'm really loving the feel of this as I'm knitting). Followed by stocking stitch in the round, with enough detail to be interesting but not require all my concentration.

And...


A simple 4x1 rib in my gorgeous Candy Skein yarn (Tink, I love this yarn, thanks!) Knitting fingering weight on 4.5mm needles is making such a soft and drapey fabric that I can't wait to keep working on this. Plus, it feels good to be knitting some of my ever expanding sock yarn stash even though I'm not in a sock mood *laughs* The pattern is Euro Cowl, and it's simple but really effective :)

So, I'm back with a vengeance, and hoping that my blog posts are a bit more lively now too ;)

8 comments:

  1. It is good to hear you have found your mojo again, and I totally understand how you feel. Our hobbies should never be a chore, but I am glad you are doing something inspiring for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard when you aren't feeling the things you're knitting. Taking a break is always the best course of action. I'm glad you're back to being happy with your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I definitely understand! I've been there and done that many times. Glad you're feeling reinvigorated, but a break is okay, too. Sometimes we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forced knitting is the worst motivation. I hope you are now knitting with wild abandon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that way too with holiday and present knitting, after awhile it's just no fun anymore. I'm glad you found your way back though, both of those projects look like fun and the yarn is really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to set aside some "have-to" knitting this past weekend for some funner knitting. I know just how you feel :)
    –Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate, also. Sometimes you need to refresh yourself rather than worry about your "knitting commitments."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone needs a break from 'the list' sometimes. Having spent time finishing other people's UFOs I know how you feel. So pleased you are really enjoying it now.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D