Wednesday 4 May 2011

Work In Progress Wednesday

This week, for the first time, I am participating in Tami's link party, where bloggers write a "work in progress" post on Wednesdays (there's also a Finished Object Friday, but I'm always too eager to post my FOs to wait!) If you're interested in what other people are working on, click here to go to Tami's blog and see the WIPW posts.

I figured this week, as I have just cast on two new projects, it would be a good time to get involved.

So, as I finished my cardigan and my shawl (yay for long weekends *laughs*), I needed new projects...

As you saw from yesterday's teaser, I am knitting something green. Really green ;)


Actually, yesterday's pic is a better representation of the colour, it really is very green.

This small amount of progress will eventually turn into Blithe from the Kim Hargreaves book Breeze. Not sure what possessed me to start a pattern in 4 ply cotton on 2.25mm needles.... Aaaargh! This is going to take me forever. Also, I don't like knitting with cotton! Ok, so I know the book is all cotton patterns, but I plan to substitute on most of them. But for this one, a cotton summer top, it needs to be the right yarn... See:



By the "right yarn", I don't mean the recommended yarn though. I figured out that even buying it from the Kemps sale bin, it would cost over £35 to make this top. It's cute, but not that cute! I went for a cheaper version, which will come to about £13. Much more like it *smiles*

Anyway, onto my second WIP. As a reward for knitting with crunchy feeling cotton (and a break for my hands, which don't appreciate the lack of soft after a few rows!), I also cast on using my wonderful 100% silk.

It's soooooo very soft *smiles* Unbelievably so. I struggled at first to find the right pattern for it, as I was advised I might. Various stitch patterns didn't work with the drapiness of the yarn. I decided it needed something more structured than too much lace, but not boring, it's too special to be just stocking stitch!

This is what I ended up deciding on (after trying 4 or 5 different things)...


It';s really hard to show this pattern properly - once stretched out a little it is beautiful. And I really can't capture the sheen of the yarn. I've decided this is going to be called my Mermaid scarf - I think it should be clear why ;) It's quite narrow, as I don't have much of the yarn, but I can't wait to wrap it round my neck!

So, there we have it, 2 brand new projects *grins*

18 comments:

  1. They look great, especially your mermaid scarf!

    Oh, and welcome to the WIP group! Nice of you to join us :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great WIPs! I know what you mean about cotton -- it's great for warm weather but not the easiest to knit with. I think you chose just the right pattern for that lovely silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green looks soft and pretty and light in the picture. Good luck with the cotton. I hate to work with cotton too. I find it really hard on my hands.

    Sandy
    WIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love new projects! Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern on that Mermaid scarf! Can't wait to see how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects looks lovely! I know what you mean about using the recommended yarns. Some of those books are trying to soak you dry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mermaid scarf looks most excellent. I've never worked with 100% silk and even though you say you can't capture it's full beauty, it's still beautiful enough that I think silk experiments will be in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to WIPW! The Mermaid scarf looks as though its going to be very pretty. I think having that kind of contrast between soft and scrunchy yarns is a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, what a pretty scarf. From what I've heard of silk, it blocks out quite well (though it doesn't stretch too much, so be gentle) to show off the yarn and really shows the sheen. Plus, once it's blocked it should stay that way, rather than relaxing like animal fibres!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that sweater is seriously cute. Cute enough to justify crunchy cotton on eensy needles. Hang in there - it will be so worth it! The scarf is gorgeous, too. Excellent idea to reward yourself with it. Personally, I usually choose cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Mermaid Scarf is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color! it will turn out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's gorgeous already! Can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't WIP Wednesday fun? Your projects look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for participating in WIPW! I've never see the Blithe pattern but I had to add it to my queue. It's awesome! Both of your projects are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, loads of comments! Thanks everyone, I'm pleased with how they're both looking :) Off to check out your blogs now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great top. I love the green!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D