Wednesday 25 May 2011

Work In Progress Wednesday Number 3

This is going to become a weekly thing for me I think, as evidenced by me knitting last night, thinking "I need to make more progress on this, so my WIPW post isn't the same as last week!"

So, progress update...

The mermaid scarf is still in a time out on the naughty step. I'm not quite ready to forgive, forget and frog yet *laughs* So, nothing to update there.

Obviously the happy sock from last Wednesday made an appearance on Finished Object Friday, as a completed pair (and thank you to everyone who commented on them, I was so excited!)

Next project from last week was my green cotton top (it really needs a name, I think). More progress has been made, I've now divided for the front opening and done a few more rows beyond that.


This is definitely not mindless knitting. Currently I'm having to remember 4 pattern parts, with a fifth soon to follow. There's the main centre pattern, the slightly different 7 stitch pattern for the button band, then placing the button holes at "every alt 7th row" plus the waist shaping. Then armhole shaping kicks in... I definitely need to pay attention to what I'm doing with this one! And to think it looked like such a simple pattern *laughs*

So that's the projects from last week caught up on. Of course, I do have more to share (well with mermaid in time out, I'm essentially only working on one thing, and that just won't do!)

I started making the cabled band bag from this post, using my Brooklyn Tweed Shelter. I've done 5 of the 7 cable repeats so far. Once they're done, the ends get grafted together in a loop, then the rest of the bag is picked up and knit in the round. Interesting and enjoyable construction.


I'm really enjoying working with this wool. It's certainly more rustic than I'm used to, which I worried would translate as scratchy (hence choosing to go with the bag rather than something to wear against my skin). I can feel a difference knitting with it, obviously, but it's soft enough to enjoy working with. Plus, the stitches stay on the cable needle with no problems at all, which makes a nice change from the more slippery yarns I'm used to *wry smile*

Anyway, here's a close up of the cables. The wool really does show them off nicely, as Ravelry reviews suggested, and I'm loving the way they're looking with C12F and C12B combined (especially as it's only my second time doing any sort of cable!)


Well, that's me for this week's WIPW; as usual, to see what other bloggers have been up to, go here to Tami's blog :)

One quick thing, thank you to everyone who commented on my post yesterday, it was really nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way! We should all give ourselves more credit.

15 comments:

  1. Such a pretty shade of green for your top. I love your cables, they look really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving both the top and the cables. Cabling is something else I haven't tried yet, but I've made doing one cabled piece a goal for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cables are looking lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cables! Shelter looks awesome, and I definitely want to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your tops coming along lovely!..your cables look great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also loving the look of those cables! Your top is coming along very nicely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top but I must say I am LOVING those cables!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That green is gorgeous! and your cables are something I can only dream of. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your top's color reminds me of a watermelon rind :)

    I'm completely intrigued by your cables project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cables look amazing. And the green for your top is amazing. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I think the top is well worth the effort of the annoying pattern as it looks great! I can't wait to see the cable bag grow.

    Oh yes, and welcome to the group of "I have to work on this so I have something to show for WIPW!" I'm off to check on your post from Friday so I can see your lovely socks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cotton top is a lovely color. The cables for the bag are very interesting and show nicely with that yarn. I love bags and need to check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, WIPW and FO Friday are so motivating, aren't they?! Your top will be lovely, and worth the non-mindless knitting! Those cables do look great in the Shelter yarn. I love the old suitcase in the photos. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally jealous of your Shelter yarn. The cables are looking great. Really like that shade of green that you are using for the top, too. Sounds like an interesting pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D