Tuesday 6 November 2012

Noro

When I posted that I was knitting some socks with Noro yarn, a couple of people asked why I said I probably wouldn't use it again... Good question!

So I thought I'd post about what I think. I know Noro can split opinion, with some people adoring it and some hating it. I don't know how strongly I feel, but I am most certainly not in the loving it camp *laughs*

A couple of things I actually haven't experienced so far, despite Noro being notorious for them, are knots interrupting the colours and vegetable matter. I'm pretty glad I haven't had to deal with that (so far!)

The main things that are bugging me are twofold. The first is something I knew may be an issue, although I didn't quite expect it to be so pronounced:



Thick and thin spots. I knew the yarn was rustic (which is why I am not complaining about it being rough and scratchy, I knew that when I bought it!) and would have variations, but some stitches are laceweight and some are aran/worsted - which is making my fabric look weird and bumpy.

But the thing that is absolutely driving me mad is the way the yarn twists on itself while I am trying to knit...


*growls in frustration* I have had yarn before that twists (Zauberball, I'm looking at you), but never anything this bad. I have to untangle myself approximately every 10 stitches. Of course, it doesn't help that I am knitting these socks 2 at a time, so the tangling is exponentially increased.

11 comments:

  1. I have read various issues with Noro, and a pattern I want to make calls for the stuff...but I am thinking of replacing it with something else :)

    So will you manage to get through with Noro to finish this project? Hope you don't find vegetable matter, that sounds horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used Noro, but like you I know people that love it and people that loath it. I can't really bring myself to buy it because of all I've heard about it, despite the amazing colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit on all the things I didn't like about Noro. The one that turned me off entirely was the thick and thin thing. I think for a shawl or scarf it would be fine but anything that needs structural integrity like socks, no way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And with that rustic yarn, I bet those twists are becoming knots pretty quick! Yeah, I'm not sure I would ever use Noro for socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not used Noro before, but I've thought about it. This might re-affirm my current decision to not spend the money on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like thick and thin yarn but I think I would be terribly frustrated if I had to use it in a gauge critical project like socks or a sweater. It's fun in a shawl or a scarf but nothing that's supposed to go right next to skin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on your side in the Noro camp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the extreme thick and thin nature of noro is really inconvenient. When I made a pair of socks with it, I think I cut out laceweight bits and joined the yarn again, which was a pain.... Still, I love Noro with all its faults, though I won't use it for socks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, little annoyances like those can certainly kill the mood of a project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that would be annoying, but there are many different types of noro. i wonder if you are using the sock? it doesn't have thick and thin and the newly introduced shirato doesn't either (although that is more a fingering weight, i think 7 sts. per inch). i do love noro, but not all, my favorites are silk garden, sock and shirato, super soft with the addition of cashmere!
    your socks are looking lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember feeling like this but now I've used quite a few different Noro yarns, with quite different results, my opinion has changed. Apart from the knots/abrupt changes, I love it because the qualities can achieve different "looks". My first Color Affection shawl is a good example - the Noro border section is my favourite part of that BECAUSE of the irregularities. The texture of the fabric is just wonderful and as it was already much thicker (even the thin bits) than the 4ply I used for the 2 other colours it makes it a much more interesting item IMO. The second one which I made with all sock yarn (one of those was Noro too) I haven't worn yet. *must do that!*

    I don't know if I'd necessarily choose it for socks, even the sock yarn, because of that rustic nature you mention, but personally I do love it for scarves and shawls.

    Hope you like the end product.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D