Friday 10 December 2010

My 2nd Project


I thought I should post one of my finished projects... Apart from my first scarf and my brother's Christmas scarf (that I forgot to take a pic of before wrapping), it's the only thing finished and blocked:



It's a Christmas present for my mum (memo to self: do not give mum a link to blog until after Christmas!) - which took weeks of painstaking work.

Not sure what possessed me to buy eyelash yarn for my second ever project *laughs* but I thought it looked nice, so I went with it. Bit of a shock going from 8mm needles to 4mm, everything seems to take so much longer (I know it's obvious, but it hadn't occurred to me!)

To start off with, it seemed to be going fine, apart from the difficulty in actually seeing which bit of the fuzz was a stitch and which bit was just... well, fuzz. But it quickly started to get ridiculously tight. I wasn't sure what was going on, except for the fact that I knew mum was a tight knitter, so I figured I'd just inherited that trait.

As mum was coming to visit me, a couple of weeks after I taught myself to knit, I got some extra wool in, and some more needles, so that she could show me a few things. I'd decided my brother was getting a chunky, ribbed scarf, but for some reason I couldn't for the life of me manage to do a purl stitch.

So, I cast on and when mum came I asked her for some assistance. She took one look at me knitting and asked what I was doing. Hmmmm. Obviously something not right! Apparently, I had taught myself to knit into the back of the stitch *rolls eyes* So, I'd managed a whole scarf completely wrong (well, not "wrong", as mum kept telling me, just not quite what I thought I was doing).

No wonder I couldn't purl!

Anyway, now I am proud to be able to knit, and purl, in the manner most people recognise as regular knitting ;) Plus, it means that when I see an instruction to knit into the back of the stitch, I know exactly what to do.

And mum's scarf? Well, doing it properly made everything much easier (still took forever though!)

Anyway, here's another pic, as the first one is a bit fuzzy (but hey, the scarf is fuzzy, so I'm gonna pretend it's a design decision!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D