Friday, 27 July 2012

Trying Not to Pun

Recently I was lucky to be offered some yarn to try out - from a company called Home Crafts .

Anyway, one of the yarns I had to try out was a skein of recycled sari silk.


I've never used sari silk before, as pretty as it is I have never had any idea to what to do with it, so I never bought any. But then I had some, and it was the perfect opportunity to try it out.

Because of all the amazing colours, I have noticed that sometimes projects using it can get a bit overwhelming. So I decided to pair it with some cream yarn that I had lurking in my stash and do something with stripes...


I think it gives the colours a real opportunity to shine, rather than getting a bit muddled together. They really are beautiful - although I found the yarn really tough on the hands when I was working with it, so it's probably not something I would use again. I'm glad I have given it a go though - if only to know that I like to look at the skeins but don't want to buy any ;)

So, enough jabbering, do you want to see what I made?!



 A cute hat *smiles* It's not my usual style, but I actually really like it.


Fair disclaimer - I was sent this yarn as well as a few other skeins free of charge by Home Crafts, to make a project and blog about it as part of a crafting competition. I hadn't actually heard of the site before this, but they sell lots of crafty supplies that I now quite fancy buying. As this isn't a review as such, the usual "all opinions are my own and not something I was asked to say" isn't entirely relevant, but still true *laughs*


It's Friday, so you know what to do... Visit Tami'sNatural Suburbia and Wisdom Begins in Wonder. Have a great weekend :)

PS - it was tough coming up with a post title that didn't involve a pun based on the word Sari sounding like Sorry!

19 comments:

  1. I like what you came up with. The cream stripes definitely bring out the colours in a less jumbled way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sari silk, it is a magical fibre
    Your hat is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute - I love the contrast with the other yarn. I think this yarn would look great crocheted into something like a table mat or bowl - it's very pretty
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is wonderful! I've been tempted by recycled sari silk yarn many times, but always end up shying away from it. I think it's the pricetag actually. I love what you did with it. Stripes are my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea, it worked out rather nicely - and you have a cute hat as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool hat! I love what you did with the yarn... and I love your "disclaimer" too!!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hat is really adorable. I like how the cream colored yarn shows of the sari yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been interested in the idea of recycled sari silk yarn, and you've made excellent use of it here---I think pairing it with the plain cream yarn was genius, both in terms of colour and texture contrast. It really does make the most of the riot of colour and fluff that the silk yarn is, and the hat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a happy hat for winter, when it's miserable and grey you will bring brightness

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a cute hat!! And I've heard what you said about the sari silk being rough on the hands before, so now I know I'll probably stay away, lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. SUCH a cute hat -- All those cheerful colors will be quite a welcome sight this winter, I'm sure of it. I can see what you mean by the yarn not being easy to work with, but definitely looks like it was worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I like the cream colored strips. That hat looks a little small, what size is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool and different. You can make cool things with art yarn sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is cute. I love the colors. Kudos to you for trying the silk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Might be cute in a ruffle at the bottom edge of a summer top, or even a little girl's poncho or skirt! I've seen it in stores, but I'd always heard that it was terrible to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are invited to share this with Show Your Stuff blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That hat is cute. I like that you paired it with the solid yarn. Nothing to be Saori about there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like that hat. I will agree that sari silk is so hard to knit with. For me it fell apart really easily and left a lot of little strings all over. I think you had the perfect project for it though.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for letting me know you stopped by :D